Dennis, V L
VICTOR LESLIE DENNIS
Remembered with honour Connaught Cemetery: Plot II, Row D, Grave 5.
He enlisted in St Pancras, London; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Victor’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Victor in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 11 November 1916; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 27 October 1917 and 19 October 1918.
Son of Herbert Stephen and Harriet Elizabeth (nee PALMER) DENNIS of Watford.
His parents married 1886 in the Camberwell, Surrey, district. Harriet died 1933 aged 75; Herbert died 1943 aged 83; both in the Watford district.
Victor was born 31 May 1890 in Camberwell, and attended Callowland Board School, Watford, from 16 October 1899 to 9 March 1900. He resided in Watford.
On the 1891 Census, aged 10 months he lived in Camberwell, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 10 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one siblings. On the 1911 Census, a grocer’s assistant aged 20, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling.
Date of death21*/10/1916
Age at death26
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)