Miles, W A
WILLIAM ALFRED MILES
Remembered with honour Bethune Town Cemetery: Plot IV, Row F, Grace 77.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 6 November 1914, and died at 5 Field Ambulance of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about William in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 4 December 1915.
Son of James and Clara (nee TERRY) MILES.
His parents married 11 May 1883 at St Mary’s, Watford. James died 1936 in Watford aged 74, and was buried 13 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Clara died 1943 in the Watford district aged 81, and was buried 30 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
William was born 1895 in Watford, and resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, employed at Victoria Works aged 15, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of death07/11/1915
Age at death20
Place of death
NotesAlso recorded as MILLS W in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)