Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 2A.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly 3760 Hertfordshire Regiment. He had previously served in the South African War with the 2nd Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Edwin’s W.W.1 Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Alice HEARNE (formerly BELCHER, nee MOULT) of Watford, and the late Edwin BELCHER; husband of Lucy Jane (nee KENT) BELCHER.
His parents married 1 November 1875 at St Mary’s, Watford. Edwin died 1882 in the Whitechapel, London, district aged 37. Alice remarried 1884 in the Watford district to Philip HEARNE, and died 1931 in the Barnet, Herts, district aged 73.
Edwin was born 13 July 1879 in the St Saviour, London, district, and baptised 16 July 1883 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended first Beechen Grove Infants’ School, Watford; then Victoria Boys’ School, Watford, from 18 January 1886 to 11 February 1891. He married 30 July 1904 at St Mary’s, Watford; they had three children. He resided in Watford. Lucy never remarried; she died 1917 in Watford aged 39, and was buried 6 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
On the 1881 Census, aged 1 he lived in Shoreditch, London, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1891 Census, an errand lad aged 11 he lived in Watford, with his mother, step-father and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, he was probably in South Africa. On the 1911 Census, a general labourer aged 33, he lived in Watford, with his wife, three children and one step-child.
Date of death15/09/1916
Age at death41
Place of death
NotesEdwin is recorded as in the Hertfordshire Regiment in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)