Room, J A
JOHN ARCHIBALD ROOM
Remembered with honour Pozieres Memorial: Panel 7 to 10.
He enlisted in Woolwich, Kent; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, John’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Alice WARD or KIRBY (nee ROOM).
John was born 15 December 1898 in Tring, Herts. He attended New Mill J.M.I. School, Tring, from 8 January 1902 to 28 July 1904, from 10 January to 3 August 1905, and from 9 January to 28 February 1906. He resided in Watford.
His mother originally married 1903 in the Lincoln district to Alfred Ernest WARD, and later lived with Percy Edwin KIRBY. Percy died 11 October 1936 aged 58; Alice WARD or KIRBY died 9 December 1940 aged 59; both in the Hackney, London, district.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Tring, with his mother and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 12, John WARD lived in Fenny Stratford, Beds, with his mother, step-father and no siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)