Atkinson, J W
JOHN WILLIAM ATKINSON
Remembered with honour Arras Memorial: Bay 7.
He enlisted in Chesterfield, Derbys; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was presumed killed in action or died a Prisoner of War in Germany. Unfortunately, John’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of George Henry and Henrietta (nee SMITH) ATKINSON.
His parents married 1892 in the Lincoln district. George died 1953 aged 83; Henrietta died 1957 aged 89; both in the Chesterfield district.
John was born either 1895 or 1896 in Lincoln, and resided in Sheepbridge, Derbys.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Old Whittington, Derbys, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a moulder’s apprentice aged 15, he lived in Sheepbridge, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of deathon or since 21/03/1918
Age at death23
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)