Remembered with honour St Amand British Cemetery: Plot I, Row A, Grave 3.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 30 July 1915, and died at 49 Field Ambulance, France, of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Thomas and Mary (nee MORRIS) KEEN.
His parents married 1888 in the Newport Pagnell, Bucks, district. Mary died 1897 in the Leighton Buzzard, Beds, district aged 29. Thomas remarried 1899 in the Leighton Buzzard district to Mary Ann ELLINGHAM, and died 1939 in the Aylesbury, Bucks, district aged 70; Mary Ann died 1925 in the Leighton Buzzard district aged 68.
George was born 11 September 1895 in Linslade, Bucks, and baptised 21 March 1896 at St Barnabas’, Linslade. he attended first Beaudesert Infants’ School, Leighton Buzzard; then Leighton Buzzard British School from 31 August 1903 to 30 July 1909. He resided in Leighton Buzzard.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Leighton Buzzard, with his father, step-mother and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a house boy aged 15, he still lived in Leighton Buzzard, with his father, step-mother and one sibling.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)