Remembered with honour Dalmeny Parish Cemetery: Grave 482.
He enlisted 14 August 1916: a plumber’s mate aged 17, 5’6½” tall, C of E. He was posted to the Depot, Deal, Kent, and joined H.M.S. St Vincent 19 July 1918. He died of disease; his sister of Stanmore, Middx, was notified. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, which were issued to his father.
Son of George and the late Kate (nee VANE) SMITH.
His parents married 10 February 1883 at Holy Trinity, Wealdstone, Middx. Kate died 1910 in the Hendon, Middx, district aged 45.
William was born 23 February 1899 in Stanmore.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Stanmore, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 12, he still lived in Stanmore, with his widowed father and three siblings.
UnitH.M.S. St Vincent
Date of death12/12/1918
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)