Grove/Groves, L S
LIONEL SMART GROVE
Remembered with honour Loos Memorial: Panel 50 to 52.
He enlisted in Holborn, London; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 3 December 1915, and was killed in action at Fromelles. Unfortunately, Lionel’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Walter and Elizabeth Annie Collins (nee SMART) GROVE.
His parents married 28 September 1891 at All Saints, Paddington, London. Walter died 15 February 1913 in Oxhey, Herts, aged 49, and was buried 20 February at St James’, Bushey, Herts.
Lionel was born 7 December 1896 in Watford, and attended Watford Grammar School as a Fuller Scholar from September 1909 to December 1912.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, aged 15 he lived in Oxhey, with his parents and no siblings.
Date of death08/05/1916
Age at death19
Place of death
NotesLionel is possibly the L GROVES commemorated at Oxhey
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)