Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 45.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 6062 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Herbert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Albert and Florence (nee HOWE) HARVEY of Hertford.
His parents married 29 August 1896 at St James’, High Wych, Herts. Albert died 1954 aged 80; Florence died 1956 aged 80; both in the Hertford district.
Herbert was born 26 December 1896 in High Wych, and baptised there 14 February 1897. He attended High Wych J.M.I. School from 13 May 1901 to 14 June 1909.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in High Wych, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a farm labourer aged 14, he lived in Sawbridgeworth, Herts, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of death31/07/1917
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)