Hill, A R
ARTHUR ROWLAND HILL
Remembered with honour Merville Communal Cemetery: Plot III, Row B, Grave 10.
He enlisted in Kensington, London; and was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 6 March 1915. He was wounded at Aubers Ridge 9 May 1915 and died in hospital a few days later. Unfortunately, Arthur’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about Arthur in the Watford Illustrated dated 22 May 1915, and a caption to a photograph in the issue dated 5 June 1915. There is also an article and a Death announcement in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 22 May 1915; and a Grammar School In Memoriam in the issue dated 31 July 1915; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 13 May 1916, 12 May 1917 and 11 May 1918.
Son of William and Frances Ellen (nee TOMPKINS) HILL of Abbot’s Langley, Herts.
His parents married 11 July 1886 at St Mary’s, Rickmansworth, Herts. William died 14 September 1928 aged 66; Frances died 22 November 1955 aged 90; both in Abbot’s Langley.
Arthur was born 11 November 1892 in Abbot’s Langley, and baptised 5 March 1893 at St Lawrence’s, Abbot’s Langley. He attended Watford Grammar School from January 1904 to June 1909, and resided in Abbot’s Langley.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Abbot’s Langley, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, an insurance clerk aged 18 he still lived in Abbot’s Langley, with his parents and five siblings.
Unit13th (County of London) Battalion (Kensington Rifles)
Date of death13/05/1915
Age at death22
Place of death
NotesArthur is also commemorated on his parent's grave at St Lawrence's
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)