Baldwin, W H or H W
WILLIAM HERBERT/HENRY or HENRY WILLIAM BALDWIN
Remembered with honour Combles Communal Cemetery Extension: Plot III, Row A, Grave 39.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, William’s service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about William in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 28 September 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 30 August 1919.
Son of Frederick and Esther (nee COMPTON) BALDWIN of Watford.
His parents married 25 December 1890 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. Frederick died 1939 in Watford aged 73, and was buried 8 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Esther died 6 March 1942 in Watford aged 76, and was buried 11 March, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
William was born 1899 in Watford, and baptised 10 May 1899 at St Mary’s, Watford. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 1 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, aged 11 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and seven siblings.
Date of death30/08/1918
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)