Bowell, F M or M F
FREDERICK MARK or MARK FREDERICK BOWELL
Remembered with honour Watford (Vicarage Road) Cemetery: Plot F, Row 3, Grave 739.
He enlisted in St Pancras; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at No. 8 V.A.D. Red Cross Hospital, Watford. Unfortunately, Frederick’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about Frederick in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 2 November 1918.
Son of Samuel and the late Sarah (nee LONG) BOWELL.
His parents married 4 October 1863 at St Thomas’, Oxford. Sarah died 1905 in Osney, Oxon, aged 64, and was buried 16 December at St Frisewide’s, Osney; Samuel died 1920 in Kidlington, Oxon, aged 82, and was buried 23 March, also at St Frisewide’s.
Frederick/Mark was born 1882 in Oxford, and resided in Camden, London N. He was buried 22 October.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 9 he lived in Oxford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1901 Census, a railway porter aged 19, he still lived in Oxford, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive.
Unit"B" Battery, 346th Brigade
Date of death19/10/1918
Age at death36
Place of death
NotesRecorded as serving in the Army Service Corps in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)