Remembered with honour Watford (Vicarage Road) Cemetery: Plot C, Row 2, Grave 300.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 30 August 1915, and died at the Military Hospital, Exeter, Devon, of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Horace’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Horace in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 1 June 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 31 May 1919.
Son of Eliza (nee CARPENTER) SWEETING of Watford, and the late John SWEETING.
His parents married 26 April 1874 at St Mary’s, Watford. John died 20 May 1918 in Watford aged 72, and was buried 24 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Eliza died 1921 in Watford aged 67, and was buried 14 November, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery. There is a Death announcement for John in the Observer dated 25 May 1918.
Horace was born 2 May1894 in Watford, and baptised 8 June 1894 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended first Victoria Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 7 January 1901 to 26 March 1902. He resided in Watford, and was buried 1 June.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Watford, with his parents and eight siblings. On the 1911 Census, a Railway Company parcel porter aged 16, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings.
Date of death26/05/1918
Age at death23*
Place of death
NotesHis brother Ernest died 5 May 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)