Shortland, F C
FREDERICK CHARLES SHORTLAND
Remembered with honour Karachi 1914-1918 Memorial.
He enlisted in Canterbury, Kent; was entitled to the British War medal, and died in India. Unfortunately, Frederick’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an In Memoriam for Frederick in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 7 September 1918.
Son of Julia (nee CHANDLER) and the late John SHORTLAND.
His parents married 24 August 1878 at St Lawrence’s, Abbot’s Langley, Herts. John died 1910 in the Watford district aged 60; Julia died 1922 in Watford aged 67, and was buried 19 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
Frederick was born 1882 in Bricket Wood, Herts, or Abbot’s Langley, and baptised 6 August 1882 at St Lawrence’s, Abbot’s Langley. He resided in Abbot’s Langley.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 9 he lived in Abbot’s Langley, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, a carman on a farm aged 18, he still lived in Abbot’s Langley, with his parents and seven siblings. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)