Begg, R G
RIVERS GORDON BEGG
Remembered with honour Otranto Town Cemetery: South-east Corner.
He joined the Beatty School of Flying at Hendon, Middx; soon obtained his certificate and was accepted by the Royal Naval Air Service, joining on 11 June 1916. He was sent in March 1917 to a new R.N.A.S. base in the south of Italy. On July 17th whilst returning from a service flight, the propeller was seen to fly off, causing the machine to become unmanageable and to nose-dive into the sea. The two officers were submerged with the wreckage, and although all possible efforts were made to rescue them, it was not possible to extricate them before they drowned. The townspeople insisted on them being buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetery in Otranto.
There are articles about Rivers in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 28 July 1917 and 4 August 1917.
Son of Henry Charles and Ida Rosalind Alice (nee SMITH) BEGG of Watford.
His parents married 18 April 1892 at St Paul’s Cathedral, Calcutta, India. Henry died 10 November 1950 in Watford aged 90, and was buried 14 November in North Watford Cemetery; Ida died 3 August 1953 in Watford aged 80, and was buried 7 July, also in North Watford Cemetery.
Rivers was born 25 July 1896 in Calcutta, and baptised 2 September 1896 at St Paul’s Cathedral, Calcutta. He attended Oundle (School House), Northants, from September 1910 to July 1916.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, it is assumed the family were still living in India. On the 1911 Census, aged 14 he was a pupil and boarder at Oundle School.
Unit5th Wing, British Adriatic Squadron
Date of death17/07/1917
Age at death19
Place of death
NotesHis brother Henry died 23 November 1916 and also features in this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)