Evans, C A
CHARLES/CHARLEY ALBERT EVANS
Remembered with honour Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery: Plot III, Row C, Grave 20.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at 15 Casualty Clearing Station. Unfortunately, Charles’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of the late Thomas and Ann Hills (nee HAWKINS) EVANS; husband of Rebecca (nee HALL) EVANS.
His parents married 27 December 1862 at St James’, Bushey, Herts. Thomas died 1895 in Bushey aged 55, and was buried 7 January at St James’, Bushey; Ann died 1911 in Bushey aged 67, and was buried 5 April, also at St James.
Charles was born 8 November 1886 in Bushey, and baptised 28 November 1886 at St James’, Bushey. He married 1 April 1907 at St James’, Bushey; they had two children. He resided in Oxhey, Herts. Rebecca remarried 5 August 1922 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, to John SHEWBRIDGE; she died 24 July 1974 in Bushey aged 86, and was buried 30 July in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
On the 1891 Census, aged 4 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, a golf caddie aged 14, he still lived in Bushey, with his widowed mother and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a bricklayer’s labourer aged 24, he was a visitor in Bushey, with his wife and two children.
Unit308th Siege Battery
Date of death24/12/1917
Age at death31
Place of death
NotesHis brother David died 17 November 1918; his nephew William died 28 January 1919; both feature on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)