Worthy, F J
FRANK/FRANCIS JOHN WORTHY
Remembered with honour Ploegsteert Memorial: Panel 10.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 24 March 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Frank’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Leon Adonis and Mary Ann Pickard (nee GOFF) WORTHY.
His parents married 25 March 1895 at St Luke’s, Deptford, London. Leon died 1942 in Watford aged 72, and was buried 1 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Mary died 1967 in the Watford district aged 93
Francis was born 1897 in Rotherhithe, London, and baptised 7 June 1897 at St Katherine’s, Rotherhithe. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Catford, London, with his parents [father recorded as Lewis] and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, aged 14 he lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings.
Date of death09/05/1915
Age at death18
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)