Knights/Knight, P H C or P C H
PERCIVAL/PERCY HENRY CLARENCE or PERCIVAL CLARENCE HENRY KNIGHTS
Remembered with honour Watford (Vicarage Road) Cemetery: Plot L, Row 11, Grave 874.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at the Military Hospital, Ripon, Yorks. Unfortunately, Percival’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Percival in the West Herts and Watford Observer Dated 19 October 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 18 October 1919.
Son of John and Ann Rosetta (nee COE) KNIGHTS of Watford.
His parents married 15 November 1890 at St Mary’s, Watford. Ann died 1932 in Watford aged 71, and was buried 3 October in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
Percival was born 27 May 1893 in Watford, and baptised 15 October 1893 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 9 January 1900 to 12 July 1901; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 22 July 1901 to 3 February 1903. He resided in Watford, and was buried 19 October.
On the 1901 Census, aged 7 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a cocoa factory hand aged 18, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Service number110537 or 110637
Unit5th Reserve Brigade
Date of death13/10/1918
Age at death25
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)