Smith, A R
ALBERT RICHARD SMITH
Remembered with honour Maroc British Cemetery: Plot I, Row P, Grave 20.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 4 October 1915, and was killed in action in the front line near Loos. Unfortunately, Albert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Albert in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 7 April 1917; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 23 March 1918 and 22 March 1919.
Son of Job and Clara (nee MARTINDALE) SMITH of Watford; husband of Annie Elizabeth (nee SEAR) SMITH of Oxhey, Herts.
His parents married 26 May 1878 at St James’, Bushey, Herts. Job died 15 September 1926 in Watford aged 67, and was buried 18 September in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Clara died 1942 in Watford aged 83, and was buried 7 April, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Albert was born 1889 in Watford, and baptised 6 November 1889 at St Mary’s, Watford. He married 27 January 1912 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey. He resided in Watford.
On the 1891 Census, aged 1 he lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 11 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and seven siblings. On the 1911 Census, a bricklayer’s labourer aged 21, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of death21/03/1917
Age at death28
Place of death
NotesHis brother Arthur died 16 April 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)