Butler, H J
HERBERT JOHN BUTLER
Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: Panel 23 to 28 and 163A.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 330759 Cambridgeshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Herbert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Maria (nee RODEN) BUTLER of Watford, and John James BUTLER.
His parents married 1887 in the Whitchurch, Shrops, district. Maria, a widow, died 8 March 1957 in Watford aged 89.
Herbert was born 1899 in Hoole, Chesh, and baptised 5 November 1899 at All Saints, Hoole.
On the 1901 Census, aged 1 he lived in Hoole, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 11, he lived near Malpas, Chesh, with his parents and six siblings.
Date of deathon or since 27/08/1917
Age at death18
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)