Shuffil/Shuffill, W C
WILLIAM COWLEY SHUFFILL
Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 31 and 33.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 1 April 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing
There is an article about and a Death announcement for William in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 22 May 1915; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 6 May 1916 and 5 May 1917.
Son of Anness Hartwell (nee COWLEY) and the late George SHUFFILL.
His parents married 6 May 1878 at St James’, Bushey, Herts. George died 1904 in Watford aged 49, and was buried 6 October in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Anness died 1934 in the St Alban’s, Herts, district aged 79.
William was born 1883 in Watford, and baptised 13 October 1886 at St Mary’s, Watford. He resided in Watford.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 8 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, a gardener’s labourer aged 18, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a milkman aged 29 he still lived in Watford, with his widowed mother and three siblings.
Date of death05/05/1915
Age at death32
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)