Adcock/Odcock, G F [or C F]
GILBERT FREDERICK ADCOCK
Remembered with honour Greenwich Cemetery: Screen Wall 3 “C” A327.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 27 March 1915, and died at home. Unfortunately, Gilbert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Gilbert in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 18 March 1916; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 10 March 1917.
Son of the late Henry and Eliza Ann (nee RICKARDS) ADCOCK; husband of Ethel Daisy (nee GLENIE) ADCOCK of Camden Town, London.
His parents married 18 November 1863 at St Pancras Parish Church, London. Henry died 25 August 1884 in Watford aged 57 and was buried 28 August at St Mary’s, Watford; Eliza died 1909 in Hill End, Herts, aged 67, and was buried 12 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
Gilbert was born 1873 in Watford, and married 26 June 1899 at All Saints, Leavesden, Herts; they had two children. He resided in Hatch End, Middx. Ethel never remarried and died 21 January 1946 in Fulham, London, aged 67.
On the 1881 Census, a scholar aged 8 he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1891 Census, a wine merchant’s apprentice aged 18, he still lived in Watford, with his widowed mother and four siblings. On the 1901 Census, a wine traveller aged 26, he lived in East Ham, Essex, with his wife and no children. On the 1911 Census, a licensed cab driver aged 37, he lived alone in Watford.
Unit2nd Reserve H.T. Depot
Date of death15/03/1916
Age at death41*
Place of death
NotesRecorded in the Borough Roll of Honour as C F ADCOCK
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)