Weller, G H
GEORGE HERBERT WELLER
Remembered with honour Helles Memorial: Panel 173 to 177.
Cadet George Herbert WELLER from the University of London Contingent, Senior Division, O.T.C., to be 2nd Lieutenant 16 August 1911 in the 7th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, the medals were sent to his mother of Watford. He was killed in action in Gallipoli.
There is an article about George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 24 July 1915.
Son of William Strange and Jane Emily/Emily Jane (nee JONES) WELLER of Watford; husband of the late Annie Connell (nee DAVISON) WELLER.
His parents married 15 October 1879 at Great Gaddesden, Herts. William died 12 February 1927 in Watford aged 76, and was buried 17 February in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Emily died 20 March 1927 in Watford aged 78, and was buried 24 March, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
George was born 5 November 1887 in Watford. He attended Watford Grammar School from September 1907 to November 1911, followed by University College School, London, and Glasgow University, where he was awarded the B.Sc. He was a chemical engineer. He married 1 June 1914 in Irvine, Ayrshire. Annie remarried 9 July 1917 at Murree, Bengal, India, to William Arthur HARVEY, and died 2 February 1921 in Rauceby, Sleaford, Lincs, aged 33.
On the 1891 Census, aged 3 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 13 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive – possibly in Scotland (although a visitor with the family in Watford, was Annie DAVISON).
Unit7th (Blythswood) Battalion
Date of death12/07/1915
Age at death27
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)