Lee, J E
JOHN EDWARD LEE
Remembered with honour Lillers Communal Cemetery: Plot IV, Row B, Grave 37.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 30 August 1915, and died at W Riding Casualty Clearing Station of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, John’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Joseph and Jane Louisa (nee PECK) LEE.
His parents married 15 December 1889 at St Paul’s, Old Brentford, Middx. Joseph died 1933 in the Manchester South district aged 66; Jane died 1949 in the Manchester district aged 81.
John was born 6 April 1894 in Brentford, and baptised 17 June 1894 at St Paul’s, Brentford. He attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 1 January 1901 to 3 April 1908. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a slater’s labourer aged 16, he still lived in Watford, with his father [mother gone away!] and six siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)