Rawlins, C E
CHARLES EDWARD RAWLINS
Remembered with honour Faubourg D’Amiens Cemetery: Plot V, Row G, Grave 1.
He enlisted in Liverpool 4 August 1915: a merchant aged 35; 5’6″ tall. He served at Home 4 August to 7 October 1915; with the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force 8 October 1915 to 19 March 1916, joining the 87th Field Ambulance in Gallipoli 20 October 1915, disembarked Alexandria 10 January 1916, embarked Port Suez 13 March 1916, disembarked Marsailles 20 March 1916, for the B.E.F.; and served in France from 20 March 1916. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 29 October 1915, and was killed in action.
Son of Isabella (nee LLOYD) RAWLINS of Liverpool, and the late Henry Charles RAWLINS.
His parents married 19 March 1870 at St Michael’s. Toxteth Park, Liverpool. Henry died 21 January 1916 in Liverpool aged 71, and was buried 24 January in Toxteth Park Cemetery.
Charles was born 8 December 1879 in Liverpool, and baptised 31 December 1879 at St Michael’s, Toxteth Park.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1881 Census, aged 1 he lived in Toxteth Park, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 11 he still lived in Toxteth Park, with his parents and eight siblings. On the 1901 Census, of no occupation aged 21, he still lived in Toxteth Park, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive.
Unit87th Field Ambulance
Date of death31/05/1917
Age at death37
Place of death
NotesCharles is possibly the C RAWLINS commemorated at Christ Church
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)