Johnson, E G or G E
EDWARD GEORGE or GEORGE EDWARD JOHNSON
Remembered with honour Deir El Belah War Cemetery: Row A, Grave 39.
He enlisted in Mill Hill, Middx; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 7 July 1915, and was killed in action at Gaza. Unfortunately, Edward’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 5 May 1917.
Son of Ashley and Frances Jane (nee HILL) JOHNSON of Watford.
His parents married 12 November 1870 at St James’, Bushey, Herts. Frances died 1924 in Watford aged 74, and was buried 25 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Ashley died 1929 in Watford aged 80, and was buried 14 November, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Edward George was born 1888 in Watford, and resided in Watford.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in Boxmoor, Herts, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 12 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a Gunner in the 91st (Heavy) Battery Royal Garrison Artillery aged 22, he was stationed at Roorkie, India.
Unit91st Heavy Battery
Date of death15/04/1917
Age at death28*
Place of death
NotesNamed EDWARD GEORGE JOHNSON on all military records. Listed as JOHNSON G in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)