Remembered with honour Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cemetery: Row D, Grave 15.
He enlisted in Hereford [probably should be Hertford], and was formerly Private 7477 Shropshire Light Infantry. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 27 September 1915, and died at 21st General Hospital, Alexandria. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Elizabeth (nee TROWBRIDGE) and the late James WALL; husband of Louisa (nee PATEMAN) WALL.
His parents married 6 February 1876 at All Saints, Hertford. James died 1904 in Hertford aged 58, and was buried 1 December at All Saints, Hertford; Elizabeth died 1927 in the Hertford district aged 79.
William was born 1876 in Hertford [not Watford] and baptised 27 August 1876 at All Saints, Hertford. He married 21 December 1897 at All Saints, Hertford; they had at least six children. He resided in Watford. Louisa never remarried, and died 1954 in the Watford district aged 80.
On the 1881 Census, a scholar aged 5, he lived in Hertford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1891 Census, an errand boy aged 15, he still lived in Hertford, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1901 Census, a nursery gardener aged 25, he lived in Cheshunt, Herts, with his wife and one child. On the 1911 Census, a gardener aged 34, he lived in Chingford, Essex, with his wife and three children.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)