Allen, W T
WILLIAM THOMAS ALLEN
Remembered with honour Merville Communcal Cemetery Extension: Plot I, Row E, Grave 47.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Emma (nee KING) ALLEN of Bushey, Herts, and the late Joseph ALLEN; husband of Harriett (nee WHITFIELD) ALLEN of Bushey.
His parents married 25 December 1877 at St James’. Bushey. Joseph died 1890 in Watford aged 31, and was buried 19 March at St Mary’s, Watford; Emma died 1934 in the St Alban’s, Herts, district.
William was born 1881 in Watford, and baptised 6 April 1881 at St Mary’s, Watford. He married 7 August 1905 at St James’, Bushey; they had four children. He resided in Bushey. Harriet possibly remarried 1930 in the Eton, Bucks, district to Henry J WARREN and may have died 1954 in the Folkestone, Kent, district aged 71.
On the 1881 Census, aged 1 month he lived in Watford Fields, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1891 Census, aged 10 he lived in Bushey, with his widowed mother and four siblings. On the 1901 Census, a bricklayer’s labourer aged 20, he still lived in Bushey, with his widowed mother and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a roadman for Herts C.C. aged 30, he still lived in Bushey, with his wife and two children.
Date of death11-13/04/1918
Age at death37
Place of death
NotesHis brother James died 3 September 1916 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)