Remembered with honour Ridge Wood Cemetery: Plot III, Row G, Grave 1.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 4000 25th (County of London) Battalion London Regiment (Cyclists) and Private 8272 7th Battalion London Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 21 July 1917. There is an article about George in the Newbury Weekly News dated 19 July 1917; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 8 July 1920.
Son of Ellis John and Elizabeth (nee DANNING) EDWARDS of Newbury, Berks.
His parents married 31 August 1870 at Sherborne, Dorset. Elizabeth died 9 February 1931 aged 86; Ellis died 24 August 1934 aged 88; both in Wokingham, Berks. Elizabeth was buried 13 February; Ellis was buried 29 August; both in Newtown Road Cemetery, Newbury.
George was born 1880 in Sherborne, and baptised 2 January 1881 in Sherborne. He resided in Watford.
On the 1881 Census, aged 3 months he lived in Winchester, Hants, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 10 he lived in Newbury, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, a book salesman aged 22, he was a lodger in New Windsor, Berks. On the 1911 Census, a manager in book trade aged 30, he was a boarder in Watford.
Unit7th (City of London) Battalion
Date of death04/07/1917
Age at death37*
Place of death
NotesGeorge is also commemorated on his parent's grave in Newtown Road Cemetery
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)