Bulwer, F W
FREDERICK WILLIAM BULWER
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 10D.
He enlisted at Westminster, London; and was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 25 July 1915. He was reported missing 20 July 1916 at Delville Wood during the Battle of the Somme, and presumed killed in action. Unfortunately, Frederick’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about Frederick in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 7 October 1916.
Son of Mark Harry and Caroline Alice (nee FRENCH) BULWER; husband of May (nee SCOTT) BULWER.
His parents married 16 August 1892 at Hornsey Road Wesleyan Chapel, Islington, London. Caroline died 1942 in Watford aged 74, and was buried 9 December in North Watford Cemetery; Mark died 4 June 1962 in Holland-on-Sea, Essex, aged 92, and was buried 8 June, also in North Watford Cemetery.
Frederick was born 13 May 1894 in Finsbury Park, London, and baptised 9 September 1894 at St Andrew’s, Watford. He attended Wood Green C School, Middx; then Alexandra School, Watford, from 26 February 1906 to 15 November 1907. He married 1914 in the Colchester, Essex, district; they had one child. He resided in King’s Langley, Herts. May remarried 1925 in the St Alban’s, Herts, district to Sidney G HANNAFORD, and died 1975 in the Barnet, Herts, district aged 81.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Wood Green, Middx, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, aged 16 he was possibly living with his mother and four siblings in Watford, but his details have been crossed out and he has not been found anywhere else.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)