Jones, C A
CYRIL ANSLEY JONES
Remembered with honour Moshi Cemetery: Plot I, Row C, Grave 7.
He joined the R.N.A.S. 20 July 1915; was entitled to the Victory and British War Medals, and died of disease in Nairobi. His mother of Watford was notified of his death, and he was buried in Himo Camp Cemetery, British East Africa.
There is an article about Cyril in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 13 May 1916.
Son of Maria Annie (nee ANSLEY) and the late Alfred Miles JONES.
His parents married 13 February 1884 at St Mary Magdalene, East Ham, Essex. Alfred died 21 February 1908 in Watford aged 58, and was buried 26 February in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Maria possibly died 17 August 1934 in Camberley, Surrey, aged 84.
Cyril was born 16 August 1895 in Watford, and baptised 3 November 1895 at St Andrew’s, Watford. He attended Watford Grammar School from 12 January 1903.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his father and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a pupil at school aged 15, he still lived in Watford, with his widowed mother and one sibling.
RankAir Mechanic 2nd Class
UnitNo. 12 Kite Balloon Section
Date of death22/04/1916
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)