Smith, B R
BRIAN RIVERS SMITH
Remembered with honour Vis-en-Artois Memorial: Panel 10.
He attested 28 August 1914 at Kensington, London, in the Territorial Force 4 years’ service in the U.K.: aged 19, 5’5″ tall, of Watford; Private 2205 13th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment (Kensington Rifles). He had previously been in the Berkhamsted School O.T.C. He served at Home 28 August 1914 to 3 February 1915, when he was discharged in consequence of being granted a commission as Second Lieutenant in the 4th Battalion London Regiment; he was gazetted 3 February 1915. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 20 April 1915, and was killed in action.
Son of Elizabeth Rivers (nee LISLE) SMITH of Watford, and the late Frederick William SMITH.
His parents married 29 April 1893 at St Andrew’s, Stoke Newington, London. Frederick died 1916 in Watford aged 58, and was buried 4 November in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
Brian was born 21 November 1894 in Watford, and baptised 27 January 1895 at St Mary’s, Watford.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Watford, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 16, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and no siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)