Round, A F H
AURIOL FRANCIS HAY ROUND
Remembered with honour Witham (All Saints) Churchyard: North Boundary.
He was admitted to the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, as a gentleman cadet 21 December 1909, and was appointed Second Lieutenant in the Essex Regiment 4 March 1911. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 22 August 1914; his father applied for the Star in respect of his late son 15 April 1918. He died at King Edward VII Officers’ Hospital, Grosvenor Gardens, London S.W., from tetanus following a shell wound received at Le Cateau 26 August.
Son of Francis Richard C.M.G. and Frances Emily (nee TUFNELL) ROUND of Witham.
His parents married 21 April 1881 at Sts Mary and Lawrence, Great Witham. Francis died 24 November 1920 aged 75 and was buried at All Saints, Witham; Frances died 21 April 1939 aged 72 and was also buried at All Saints, Witham.
Auriol was born 11 November 1891 in Chelsea, London, and baptised 24 April 1892 at St Peter’s, Chelsea. He was educated at Felsted School, Dunmow, Essex, played hockey for Essex, and is believed to be the first hockey player to fall in the Great War.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 9 he lived in Sutton, Surrey, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a Second Lieutenant, 2nd Battalion, Essex Regiment aged 19 he lived in Witham, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death05/09/1914
Age at death22
Place of death
NotesHis brothers: Harold died 24 August 1917; and James died 13 November 1916; both feature on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)