Halsey, G C
GEORGE CHARLES HALSEY
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 2C.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 12 August 1915, and was killed in action in the front line between Montauban-de-Picardie and Mametz when a machine-gun team of four was killed by a shell. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 29 July 1916; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 6 July 1918.
Son of George Alfred and Elizabeth Mary (nee COTTRELL) HALSEY; husband of Elizabeth (nee QUICK) HALSEY.
His parents married 30 June 1894 at St Peter’s, Bushey Heath, Herts. George died 1928 aged 65; Elizabeth died 1930 aged 65; both in the Watford district.
George was born 9 September 1894 in Bushey, and baptised 19 October 1894 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. He attended Callow Land Boys’ School, Watford, from 1 January to 11 October 1901; then Alexandra School, Watford, from 21 October 1901 to 11 June 1903. He married 24 April 1915 at St Mary’s, Watford; they possibly had one child. He resided in Watford. Elizabeth never remarried and died 1975 in the Hillingdon, Middx, district aged 84.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a billiard marker aged 16, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings.
Date of death08/07/1916
Age at death21
Place of death
NotesHis brother Frederick died 6 June 1915 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)