Bailey, T H or H T
THOMAS HARRY or HARRY THOMAS BAILEY
Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: Panels 115 to 119, 162A and 163A.
He enlisted in London 1 June 1915 for Short Service (Duration of the War): a chocolate maker aged 24 of Watford, 5’6″ tall, married. He was appointed Lance-Corporal 8 October 1915, and embarked for the Western Front 18 November 1915. Joined his Regiment 24 November 1915, and suffered a gun shot wound to the right leg 18 September 1916. He was promoted to Corporal 16 August 1917, was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 19 November 1915, and was killed in action.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Thomas in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 3 November 1917.
Son of Thomas and Martha Elizabeth (nee PARSONS) BAILEY; husband of Agnes (nee SOUTHAM) BAILEY.
His parents married 3 August 1891 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. Thomas died 1940 aged 76; Martha died 1951 aged 79; both in the Watford district.
Thomas was born 28 February 1893 in Bushey, Herts [not Hertford], and baptised 8 October 1893 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey. He married 2 August 1913 at St Michael’s, Watford, and resided in Watford. Agnes remarried 1919 in the Watford district to Charles BRYANT, and died 1966 in the Watford district aged 75.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a labourer aged 19 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death20/09/1917
Age at death24
Place of death
NotesRecorded as Harry T BAILEY at St Michael's; and as Rifleman in the Soldiers Died in the Great War dataset. His brother Alfred died 2 April 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)