Creed, A G
ALFRED GEORGE CREED
Remembered with honour Haringhe (Bandaghem) Military Cemetery: Plot V, Row B, Grave 29.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 4626 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 17 August 1915, and died at 36 Casualty Clearing Station of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Alfred’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an In Memoriam for Alfred in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 26 April 1919.
Son of Walter and Mary Jane (nee LOVELACE) CREED.
His parents married 1894 in the Chelsea, London, district. Mary died 1955 in Watford aged 92, and was buried 11 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Walter died 1959 in Abbot’s Langley, Herts, aged 92, and was buried 21 January, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Alfred was born 22 January 1897 in the Bromley, Kent, district. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 12 February 1906 to 20 January 1911. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Willesden, Middx, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, an errand boy aged 14, he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death26/04/1918
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)