Sharman, A W
ALFRED WESLEY SHARMAN
Remembered with honour Noreuil Australian Cemetery: Row C, Grave 1.
He enlisted 26 July 1916 in Harrow, Middx: a pastry cook and confectioner aged 31, married, of Rickmansworth, Herts. He served at Home 26 July 1916 to 4 April 1917, and in France from 5 April 1917 until killed in action. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals.
There is a brief article about Alfred in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 29 December 1917; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 23 November 1918.
Son of Wesley Alfred and the late Emily (nee HUNT) SHARMAN; husband of Lilian Mary/May DEAN (formerly SHARMAN, nee CRONK) of Rickmansworth.
His parents married 1884 in the Windsor, Berks, district. Emily died 1900 aged 38; Wesley died 1938 aged 77; both in the Windsor district.
Alfred was born 9 August 1885 in Windsor, and attended first Windsor Infants’ School; then the Royal Free Secondary School, Windsor, from 4 September 1893 to 30 September 1898. He married 7 March 1915 at Watford Registry Office; they had one child. He resided in Rickmansworth. Lilian remarried 23 November 1919 at St Jude’s, Swansea, to Arthur George Edward DEAN, and died 1966 in the Swansea district aged 74.
On the 1891 Census, aged 5 he lived in Clewer, Berks, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, a baker’s lad aged 15, he still lived in Clewer, with his widowed father and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a pastry cook aged 26, he was a boarder in Rickmansworth.
Unit301st Siege Battery
Date of death24*/11/1917
Age at death32
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)