Sapsed, H T
HERBERT TRING SAPSED
Remembered with honour Leavesden (All Saints Churchyard).
He enlisted 30 July 1915 for the period of hostilities in the Royal Naval Air Service: a valet, 5’10” tall; next-of-kin his father of Winchester, Hants. He transferred to the Royal Air Force 1 April 1918 as a Leading Air Mechanic, and died at the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar, Hants, from injuries sustained when struck by a propeller.
Son of William and Florence (nee TRING) SAPSED; husband of Ethel Annie (nee KIPPING) SAPSED.
His parents married 1 June 1887 at Emmanual Church, Paddington, London. William died 1937 in the Winchester district aged 78; Florence died 6 October 1944 in Twyford, Hants, aged 80 [name in the Death index recorded as LAPSED].
Herbert was born 18 September 1889 at Wooburn Green, Bucks, and baptised 20 October 1889 at St Paul’s, Wooburn Green. On 10 August 1914, he was appointed Police Constable 182 in the Buckinghamshire Constabulary aged 25. He married 1918 in the Marylebone, London, district, and was buried 25 June, from Calshot Seaplane Station. Ethel remarried 4 July 1923 at All Saints, Leavesden, to Alfred George KEEN, and died 22 January 1978 in Watford aged 88.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, aged 1 he lived in Wooburn, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 11 he still lived in Wooburn, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a 2nd footman aged 21, he was a servant in Wooburn.
Date of death20/06/1918
Age at death27
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)