Lilley, E G
ERNEST GEORGE LILLEY
Remembered with honour Maroc British Cemetery: Plot I, Row K, Grave 44.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 26 July 1915, and was presumed killed in action. Unfortunately, Ernest’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of William Cecil and Flora (nee KNOWLES) LILLEY of Watford; husband of Ellen Frances (nee REEVE) LILLEY of London.
His parents married 8 April 1894 at St Mary’s, Watford. Flora died 1949 in Watford aged 76, and was buried 20 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; William died 1949 in Watford aged 84, and was buried 17 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Ernest was born 29 May 1894 in Watford [not Saffron Walden, Essex]. He attended first Victoria Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School from 7 January 1901 to 6 December 1906, and again from 11 February to 28 June 1907. He married 1915 in the Kensington, London, district. Ellen never remarried and died 19 February 1978 in King’s Lynn, Norfolk, aged 83.
On the 1901 Census, aged 7 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a fish fryer aged 16, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings.
Date of deathon or since 27/09/1915
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)