Rogers, G W
GEORGE WILLIAM ROGERS
Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 31 and 33.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 23 November 1914, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 14 August 1915.
Son of William and Rose/Rosa (nee HOLT) ROGERS.
His parents married 1893 in the Amersham, Bucks, district. Rose died 1964 in the Watford district aged 92.
George was born 19 October 1894 in Chesham, Bucks, and attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 14 April 1902 to 9 August 1904; again from 26 September 1904 to 26 May 1905; and again from 20 June 1905 to 16 July 1908. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a printer aged 17 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death11/07/1915
Age at death20
Place of death
NotesHis brother Archie died 5 April 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)