Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 2C.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 30 August 1915, and was killed in action during an unsuccessful attack on The Quadrilateral near Morval. Unfortunately, Robert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of John and Charlotte Matilda (nee ATKINS) DAVIS.
His parents married 1884 in the Potterspury, Northants, district. Charlotte died 1924 in the Northampton district aged 62; John died 1928 in the Wellingborough, Northants, district aged 67.
Robert was born 6 March 1889 in Northampton, and baptised 7 April 1889 at St Peter’s, Northampton. He resided in Woburn Sands, Beds.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in Duston, Northants, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 12 he still lived in Duston, the nephew of James and Ada M DAVIS. On the 1911 Census, digging clay aged 22, he lived in Woburn Sands, with his father and one sibling.
Date of death15/09/1916
Age at death27
Place of death
NotesRobert is possibly the R DAVIS commemorated by Benskin's Brewery
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)