Culling, H W
HAROLD WILLIAM CULLING
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 6A and 6B.
He attested at Euston Road, London, 8 January 1915, Private 3115 28th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment (Artists’ Rifles): aged 19, 5’7″ tall, next-of-kin his father of Bushey, Herts. He was discharged in consequence of appointment to Second Lieutenant 9th Battalion, West Riding Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 11 August 1915, and was killed in action at Fricourt.
There is an article about Harold in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 29 July 1916; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 7 July 1917.
Son of James William Henry and the late Florence Emily (nee HEATH) CULLING of Bushey.
His parents married 20 September 1894 at St John the Evangelist, Forton, Hants. Florence died 1908 in the Hendon, Middx, district aged 38. James remarried 29 July 1909 at St Matthew’s, Willesden, Middx, to Edith Winifred Maude TAYLOR. James, C.B. C.B.E., died 30 January 1949 in Bushey aged 78; Edith died 6 December 1969 in Leicester aged 87.
Harold was born 25 July 1897 in either Hampstead, London, or Willesden, and baptised 19 September 1897 at Christ Church, Brondesbury, London.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 3 he lived in Willesden, with his father and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 13 he lived in Bushey, with his father, step-mother and two siblings.
Date of death07/07/1916
Age at death19
Place of death
NotesHis brother Victor died 28 October 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)