Green, W F [or W E]
WILLIAM FRANCIS GREEN
Remembered with honour Giavera British Cemetery: Plot III, Row D, Grave 4.
He enlisted for Short Service 10 August 1915 in Watford: a plumber’s mate aged 33, 5’4″ tall, of Watford. Served at Home 10 August 1915 to 7 February 1916; he embarked 8 February 1916 from Southampton aboard Queen Alexandria to France where he served until 10 May 1917 when he was invalided to the 2nd Scottish General Hospital, Edinburgh, suffering with an old fracture of the arm. Was also in No. 14 General Hospital 16-30 March 1916 suffering from scabies. On 8 July 1917 was reclassified category Cii, and sent to Italy 17 November 1917, where he died at No. 9 Casualty Clearing Station, of influenza. He was granted the Good Conduct Medal 22 September 1918, and was entitled to the Victory and British War medals.
Son of Thomas William and the late Louisa (nee WOODWARD) GREEN; husband of Florence (nee CLARK) GREEN.
His parents married 1 June 1879 at St Pancras Parish Church, London. Louisa died 1914 in the Watford district aged 56; Thomas died 19 September 1926 in Radlett, Herts, aged 70.
William was born 18 June 1881 in Kentish Town, London, and married 8 April 1901 in Watford; they had seven children. He resided in Watford. Florence never remarried, and died 1958 in the Watford district aged 77.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 8 he lived in Radlett, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, he is proving elusive. On the 1911 Census, a bricklayer’s labourer aged 28, he lived in Watford, with his wife and five children.
Unit1037th Reserve Mechanical Transport Company
Date of death28/10/1918
Age at death36
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)