Cookes, H N
HENRY NELSON COOKES
Remembered with honour Portsmouth (Highland Road) Cemetery: Plot H, Row 15, Grave 26.
He appears to have no medals, was gazetted 11 April 1917 as Second Lieutenant, and died of pneumonia.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Henry in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 2 November 1918.
Son of William Henry and Mary Sophia (nee MANDER) NELSON-COOKES; husband of Kathleen Northcote (nee WRIGHT) NELSON-COOKES.
His parents married 10 January 1888 at St Nicholas’, Kenilworth, Warks. William died 4 July 1922 in Bournemouth, Dorset, aged 69; Mary died 5 April 1941 in Boscombe, Dorset, aged 74.
Henry was born 1889 in Banbury, Oxon, and baptised 13 February 1889 at St Mary’s, Banbury. He married 31 January 1917 at St Jude’s, Southsea, Hants. Kathleen never married, and died 13 January 1963 in Southsea aged 74.
There is a Marriage announcement for Henry in the Observer dated 10 February 1917.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in Kenilworth, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1901 Census, a pupil aged 12, he lived in Hurstpierpoint, Sussex. On the 1911 Census, a law student aged 22, he lived in Watford, with his parents and no siblings.
Date of death23/10/1918
Age at death29
Place of death
Notesaka Henry NELSON-COOKES
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)