Foster, P C
PERCY CHARLES FOSTER
Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 31 and 33.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 24 September 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Percy’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Henry Barnes and the late Annie Shepherd (nee PATMORE) FOSTER of Watford; husband of Lily (nee ABBOTT) FOSTER of Watford.
His parents married 25 October 1880 at Holy Trinity, Twickenham, Middx. Annie died 1911 in Watford aged 53, and was buried 11 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Henry died 1927 in Watford aged 69, and was buried 20 May, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Percy was born 2 or 14 October 1883 in Hitchin, Herts, and baptised 18 April 1887 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended first St Andrew’s Infants’ School, Watford; then Victoria Boys’ School, Watford, from 27 January 1890 to 20 May 1895. He married 5 August 1907 at St Mary’s, Watford; they had four children. He resided in Watford. Lily remarried 25 December 1923 at St Mary’s, Watford, to Francis Cyril SHEA, and died 23 June 1955 in Luton, Beds, aged 65.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 7 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, a wood turner aged 17, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a railway porter aged 27 he still lived in Watford, with his wife and one child.
Date of death19/12/1915
Age at death31
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)