Batchelor, G W or W G
GEORGE WILLIAM or WILLIAM GEORGE BATCHELOR
Remembered with honour Godewaersvelde British Cemetery: Plot I, Row B, Grave 16.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 30 July 1915, and died of wounds received in action. He was awarded the D.C.M. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There are articles about George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 9 June 1917, 29 September 1917 and 6 April 1918.
Son of Alfred James and Maria (nee HOLT) BATCHELOR of Watford.
His parents married 22 March 1894 at St Andrew’s, Watford. Maria died 1936 in Watford aged 67, and was buried 4 August in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Alfred died 1942 in Watford aged 86, and was buried 22 April, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
A George Henry was born 1898 in Watford, and a George William born 4 June 1898 and baptised 15 July 1898 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended the National School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 29 August 1911 to 24 May 1912. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, aged 12 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and seven siblings.
Date of death10/09/1917
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)