Remembered with honour Mendinghem Military Cemetery: Plot VII, Row D, Grave 9.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 22195 (or 22495) Bedfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Bert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Bert in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 20 October 1917.
Son of Sarah Jane (nee DAVIS) and the late James DAVIS.
His parents married 1888 in the Watford district. James died 1901 in the St George Hanover Square, London, district aged 34. Sarah remarried 1905 in the Watford district to Josiah ABBOTT, he died 1907 in Watford aged 86, and was buried 6 September in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford. Sarah married for the third time 1908 in the Watford district to Levi Tennant RAVEN. She died 1936 in Watford aged 68, and was buried 24 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery; Levi died 1937 in Watford aged 80, and was buried 17 December, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Bert was born 1893 in Watford, and baptised 3 May 1893 at St Mary’s, Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive.
Date of death24/09/1917
Age at death24
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)