Remembered with honour Watford (Vicarage Road) Cemetery: Plot B, Row 6, Grave 24.
He enlisted in London August 1914; appears to have no medals, and died at Watford Hospital of meningitis. Unfortunately, Herbert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There are articles about Herbert in the Watford Illustrated and the West Herts and Watford Observer both dated 17 April 1915.
Son of Mary (nee HARRIS) GOBEY of Weymouth, Dorset, and Walter GOBEY.
His parents married 1888 in the Fordingbridge, Hants, district. Walter died 26 June 1924 in Weymouth aged 65; Mary died 30 September 1947 in Romford, Essex, aged 79, and was buried in Romford Cemetery.
Herbert was born 1895 in Stoke Newington, London, and baptised 26 May 1895 at St Michael’s, Wood Green, Middx. He resided in Hornsey, Middx, and was buried 14 April.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Wood Green, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a clerk at gas engineers aged 16, he lived in Hornsey, with his parents and two siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)