Remembered with honour Rifle House Cemetery: Plot IV, Row J, Grave 1.
He originally attested in London 18 May 1908 in the Army Reserve six years service: a printer aged 18, 5’4″ tall, C of E, in the Rifle Brigade. He re-enlisted for four years 16 July 1913. Amongst misdemeanours committed were: having a light on in his tent after lights out – two days C.C. 27 September 1908; gambling in camp – seven days C.C. 22 August 1914; being asleep on sentry duty – 21 days. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 15 September 1914, and was killed or died of wounds received in action at Ploegsteert.
He has a brief mention in an article in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 1 May 1915.
Son of Henry and Florence Moore (nee TIBBS) DRAKE.
His parents married by banns 25 December 1887 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. Henry died 20 September 1925 in Watford aged 58, and was buried 23 September in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Florence died 1945 in Watford aged 75, and was buried 10 September, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Ernest was born 30 September 1889 in Bushey, Herts, and baptised 25 October 1889 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey. He resided in Oxhey.
On the 1891 Census, aged 1 he lived in New Bushey, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, aged 11 he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a printer aged 21, he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and six siblings.
Date of death16/01/1915
Age at death25
Place of death
NotesHis brother Henry died 23 October 1917 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)