Atkins, W H
WALTER HERBERT ATKINS
Remembered with honour St Symphorien Military Cemetery: Plot I, Row B, Grave 7.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at Gembloux. Unfortunately, Walter’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Charles William and Jenny/Jennie (nee BREWIN) ATKINS.
His parents married 1892 in the Watford district. Charles died 1929 in Watford aged 60, and was buried 26 February in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Jenny died 16 April 1949 in St Pancras, London, aged 77, and was cremated 21 April at Islington Crematorium, London.
Walter was born 1898 in Watford. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 8 January to 12 July 1907, and again from 23 March 1908 to 1 March 1909. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)